Missouri Licensure Expectations (College of Architecture Faculty)

Faculty must act in accordance with state licensure statute. This document outlines expectations related to licensure and engaged teaching, research, and creative practice.

Download detailed case studies and details (PDF).

What is Missouri Statute 327? And why does it matter?

The Missouri Board for Architects, Professional Engineers, Professional Land Surveyors and Professional Landscape Architects oversees professional services in these areas in Missouri.

These services are governed by a state statute known as Chapter 327. The services covered under this chapter include “planning services” that include architecture, engineering, land surveying, and landscape architecture, including all services which need to be either prepared by a licensed design professional or supervised by an appropriately licensed design professional.

Compliance with this statute is essential.

A violation of this statute is a misdemeanor and can lead to discipline by the board.

In addition, violation of licensure requirements may have an impact for students on pursuing future licensure.

Violations can also impact on WashU’s relationship with the State of Missouri.

Do faculty members need to be licensed?

As a faculty member, you may not need to be licensed to participate in or teach community projects in your classes. However, there are some very important considerations for you as you scope and execute collaborations with the community.

If you are leading a design/build project that requires an architect or a landscape architect’s seal, you must either be licensed in the State of Missouri (or relevant jurisdiction) OR have a licensed professional as a formal part of your team. Formalizing this agreement could mean co-teaching, having a written contract, or another structure that supports formal relationships. Discuss with your chair or the Director.

If you are working on projects in private practice, you will need to carefully review Chapter 327 to verify if you should pursue licensure in the relevant jurisdiction. You may want to speak with a lawyer. If you are not a licensed professional in the relevant jurisdiction, do not represent yourself as one.

Review the detailed document for more information and additional examples.