As the Sam Fox School grows our ambitions toward academic excellence, we recognize the value of focused time in a faculty member’s probationary period to advance their research and creative work. To this end, we will add semester-long sabbaticals and course releases to our faculty support infrastructure.
Sabbatical leaves and course releases are approved through a formal application process. They will be granted both on the merit of the project or research plan and on the School’s ability to fill teaching vacancies. The director and dean must approve all tenure-track sabbatical and course release applications.
Tenure-Track Sabbatical Leave Eligibility Requirements
- Tenure-track sabbaticals are available after a successful third-year review. Faculty preparing for a third-year review may apply in December prior to the review; any granted sabbatical will be contingent on a successful review.
- Sabbaticals are only available for one semester during the probationary period.
- Applicants will be required to demonstrate a specific project or research plan for their sabbatical and demonstrate significant value to their tenure case as a result of the sabbatical.
- Faculty who take a tenure-track sabbatical will become eligible to apply for another sabbatical after an additional twelve semesters.
Faculty Course Release Eligibility Requirements
- Faculty members are eligible for up to two course releases after a successful third-year review if they do not take sabbatical. Faculty preparing for a third-year review may apply in December prior to the review; any granted course releases will be contingent on a successful review.
- Course releases apply only to 3-credit courses. In Architecture, faculty may request a six-credit studio release instead of two three-credit course releases. Typically, only one 3-credit course release will be granted for any one semester.
- Faculty will need to present a project or research plan to apply for each course release. Plans should demonstrate value to their tenure case.
- Faculty who take course release(s) become eligible to apply for a sabbatical after the successful granting of tenure and promotion.
- Complete the application form.
- Attach a specific project proposal or research plan that demonstrates significant value to your tenure case as a result of the sabbatical or course release.
- Submit application to the Dean’s Office and School Director’s Office December 15th of the academic year prior to leave.