Various computing and printing labs are located throughout the Sam Fox School.
WHITAKER LEARNING LAB
Located on the ground floor of the Kemper Art Museum, Room 040 (near the Art & Architecture Library), the Whitaker Learning Lab houses the IT Department and functions as the main hub for most printing activity. It is open to students, faculty, and staff across the school.
Hours: 8a-11p (lab monitor on duty)
Hours may be limited during breaks and holidays. Check the front door for changes.
- Whitaker Learning Lab 040A: 18 Computers total and one AV system that has a dedicated computer (19 total computers).
- Whitaker Learning Lab 040L: 16 Computers total and one AV system that has a dedicated computer (17 total computers).
- 9 dual-boot (Apple and Windows) workstations in the printing area
- Large-format plotting
- Large-format scanning (Scanning takes priority on connected computers with software.)
A detailed list of plotters, along with their specs and pricing information can be found here. Pricing information is also posted throughout the facility. You can also find pricing information in your PaperCut account in the “Rates” section.
Custom paper: Before you can use your own paper on a SFS printer, it must be preapproved by someone in Sam Fox School IT. If you decide to bypass this step and something happens to the plotter/printer as a result of using your own paper, you will be charged for repairs … not to mention the inconvenience it could cause fellow students. You may opt to provide your own print media. Before doing so, bring a manufacturer description for approval by the Sam Fox School IT department staff. We’ll make an instant determination for you.
- Steinberg Room 203/203A: 12 Computers total and one AV projector (The projector has to connect to one of the lab computers or can connect to a laptop.)
The Communication Design Elective Room has four Mac-based computers and is primarily reserved for classes.
The Photo Elective Lab is also primarily reserved for classes.
Bixby Hall 214: Second Floor classroom has a small area of computers for the class
All lab computers have Microsoft Office and a version of Adobe Suite. Windows partitions also have AutoCad, Rhino, and various plugins for 3-D rendering and various digital output.
TAs are available in the Whitaker Learning Lab to assist you with computing and printing questions. The Whitaker lab monitor may also be reached at 935-9290.
For all help requests, please submit a Help Desk ticket.